Sunday, July 19, 2015

US First Trans Soldier

Shane Ortega was kicked out of the US military for being trans despite serving 3 military tours and a clean record of service.  He's a helicopter pilot that was grounded temporarily for being trans and is happy to be back serving.  Obviously, this won't be easy and he knows it:
Honestly, I have to be perfect right now. Like, I couldn’t get a speeding ticket. I can’t be late. I can’t forget to shave one day of the week. I have to be absolutely perfect. I don’t think anyone really understands the level of perfection that I have to have right now that I stepped forward, but I understood the weight of the matter. It was part of what I juggled in my judgment before I decided to do that. And it’s really uncomfortable, to be honest. But if I don’t do it, it doesn’t help anyone else.

No comments:

 
Share